Wednesday, October 24, 2012

he's the piano man

This past month I had a very successful recital.  Let me tell you how it came about. Last spring, as I watched each of my 50 students individually perform, I couldn't help but noticed something that was happening in the audience.   Every time a boy/young man performed every single one of my other male students young or old would perk up and listen intently, very intently.  Mind you it was a long long recital.  But even with the lengthiness there were still those boys who would listen no matter what to the other boys around them.  I was fascinated by this.  I decided that it was time to have an all boy recital!!  It turned out so GOOD!!

A tradition of mine is to always invite local guest artists to perform at my recitals.  They could be someone with a beautiful singing voice, amazing piano skills, or even the talent of playing other instruments that are not often found at a piano recital.   I decided to search out a male pianist who was not only awesome and amazing but also would be perfect to talk with the young men and motivate them to always continue with the piano.

I asked a man who attends my church because I had heard him play Chopin once and was left mesmerized.  After he accepted to play and inspire my piano men he called a week later and offered to have our piano man recital in his home!  How perfect especially since he sheltered a nine foot Steinway grand!

The evening was perfect.  I loved watching all the boys listen again so intently.   They left that night all fired up and ready for a new piano piece at their next lesson. What could be better then this?

 A wonderful intimate setting that made for such a beautiful evening.

 A sign one of my amazing piano moms made.  She put names of famous composers all over the sign along with all the names of my piano men.
 They were all so excited to play on such a huge piano.
What an unforgettable evening! Don't they look so great!! I'm so proud of my piano men!!

1 comment:

  1. Another awesome piano man...Kent Moosman...Dishman Mica Ward. He's AmAzInG! What a great idea! I love when men play~they put so much feeling/power in to it.

    ReplyDelete